Sponsors

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Meet the Devs – Drumdestroyer

developer interview drumdestroyer

Welcome back to our Meet the Devs segment! In this piece we take a little time to get to know the people who really make Android what it is today and that is the app developers. In this week’s developer interview, we are talking to Tim Austin who runs Drumdestroyer.


Name: Tim Austin


Developer Name: Drumdestoyer


Country: United States


Website: N/A


Google + Profile/Page: Tim Austin’s Google+


How many people on your team? 1


developer interview


Apps


Empire Icon Pack

Empire Zooper

RAD Icon Pack


Tell us about your company


I make icon packs. I have been getting better with every app that I release. I feel that my latest icon pack Empire is my best work. I use the Big DX (addie baker) app template for my application source. I would consider all of the developers that use his source a team, as we share a lot of stuff. Guys like Brian Roberts (brionic), Alex Miller (arandrompackage) and many more tallented guys.

I run a construction company by day and theme on my free time. But it is a huge part of my life.




What level of experience do you have with coding and development?


I am more of a image guy. But I have a lot of experience with using templates and I am learning more every day.


What languages do you know? How and where did you learn them?


Still a beginner.


What level of experience do you have with design?


This is my main strong point. I am very proficient with Adobe Illustrator and a little Photoshop.


What apps have you made?


All my apps are icon packs. Empire, Tuxedo, Rad, Devoid. Can be found on the Play Store.


developer interview


How do you monetize your apps?


I sell them as paid apps.


Do you consider yourself successful?


I feel that I am getting there. I feel that it takes a lot of time as a theme maker to build up a following.


How difficult is it to make money as a developer?


It is very tough in my experience so far.


developer interview


What can Android do to improve?


As a avid phone modifier, I would like to see it be less locked down. Not necessarily leaving the phones without security. But to be able to unlock bootloaders and flash ROMs is a huge deal to me. I don’t see myself ever owning a phone that doesn’t have this option if I can help it.


Why did you choose Android? Do you develop for other platforms? What are the differences between them?


Actually my wife chose. She really wanted a Motorola Droid when they came out. I resisted. I thought it was something I would break in my line of work. But as always she won. We picked up Droid 2 Globals. It was about two months later that I had rooted it and installed bootstrap from Koush. A bit longer and I was flashing ROMs. Then it wasn’t too long after that that I bought a Galaxy Nexus. I have been a avid Android supporter ever since.


What are your thoughts on iOS and Windows 8?


I am not a fan of iOS though I do use a Hackintosh as my main computer. I like Windows fine. I just find that OSX is best for design.


What do you think of the Android design guidelines?


I like the direction that Android design is going in. For instance, though the new G+ app has its faults. I do like the new look. This same look is being incorporated into our app thanks to Addie Baker.


What are your favorite apps?


I am a big social media guy so I use Google+ a lot as well as Falcon Pro for Twitter. I am mostly a utility guy.


developer interview


What has been your experience been like working with Google?


I have not done much in that area.


What does the future of development look like?


I have no idea :)


What tips do you have for aspiring developers?


Be determined and practice, practice, practice. The only way to become a master at anything is to keep at it. If you enjoy it and keep at it you will eventually get somewhere.


Anything else you’d like to share?


My new app Empire is #5 in the top new paid section in personalization on google play. I am really proud of how it came out and how well it is doing.




We want to thank Tim for chatting with us in this week’s developer interview! If you’re a developer and this looks like something you’d like to do, check out our Meet the Devs form! We look forward to hearing from you.








from Android Authority http://ift.tt/1qeIqrd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Articles

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...