Sponsors

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Meet the Devs – AKWare

developer interview

Welcome back to our Meet the Devs segment! In this piece we take a little time to get to know the people who really make Android what it is today and that is the app developers. In this week’s developer interview, we are talking to Andrew Kemeklis of AKWare.


Name: Andrew Kemeklis


Developer Name: AKWARE


Country: United States


Website: AKWARE Official Website


Google + Profile/Page: Andrew Kemeklis Google+


How many people on your team? 1


developer interview


Apps


CHiPMuNK




Tell us about your company


My name is Andrew Kemeklis and I am 13 years old app developer. I am the CEO of my company, AKWare, where I develop Android apps. AKWare is less than a year old and I created it with my dad.


What level of experience do you have with coding and development?


I have been coding for 4 years, since I was 8. I have a lot of experience in Java development. I have been making Android apps for a little under a year, and I also have a good deal of experienced with Android development.


What languages do you know? How and where did you learn them?


I know Java, BASIC, and python along with javascript, HTML, and CSS. I also have experience with Arduino. My dad taught me BASIC when I was 8. He also taught me about computer logic and then Java a bit later. I learned python with a book I got when I was about 10. Later, when I was 11, I got an Arduino board and a book. I had a lot of fun building robots that walked on 2 legs, 4 legs, ones that wrote my name, and ones that would ride around my room. Later, in the summer, when I was 12, I got a book about Android programming and I started developing Android apps. I wrote the apps in Java. Later I decided to use Phonegap, where you code in HTML5. There is a really great website called Coding Academy, where I learned javascript, HTML, and CSS. I would recommend it to beginning programmers.




What level of experience do you have with design?


I have little experience with design. I have never taken any design classes before. I like watching the different videos Android puts up about design and user experience, and they definitely help me with designing my apps. One of the videos that I found really helpful was about common Android UX flaws. This video was awesome and I learned a lot about what I can do wrong in my apps if am not using actual Android buttons.


What apps have you made?


CHiPMuNK, a game where you swipe up and down to move your chipmunk and try not to get hit by the flying acorns.

FlickMas, a game where you save Christmas by swiping presents back into Santa’s sleigh as they fall out.

St. David the King App, an app for a local church that shows mass times and reconciliation schedules, urgent church information, and lets you download sunday bulletins onto your device. You can even have mass times spoken to you.

Monroe Sports Center App, an app that lets users view schedules for all your basketball teams, and notifies the user of changes in schedule and for upcoming events




How do you monetize your apps?


I display AdMob banner ads on the bottom of the screen in my game, CHiPMuNK.


Why did you choose Android? Do you develop for other platforms? What are the differences between them?


I chose Android because it is a free to develop on, open platform and it is very popular and widely used. Android is over 80% of the smartphone market share. I don’t develop apps for iOS or Windows because they cost much more to develop on, and for iOS I would have to pay $99 a year to have put my apps up on the app store. Android just has a one time fee of $25 to create a developer account, and then after that you don’t have to make any yearly payments.




What are your favorite apps?


I really like the NBA Game Time app, since I am into basketball. I also love playing 2048.


What tips do you have for aspiring developers?


Be creative and let loose your ideas! Don’t be afraid to try something new!




We want to thank Andrew for chatting with us in this week’s developer interview! If you’re a developer and this looks like something you’d like to do, check out our Meet the Devs form! We look forward to hearing from you.








from Android Authority http://ift.tt/1uwsJu0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Articles

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...