Sponsors

Friday, September 26, 2014

Pebble Steel Strap Fits Moto 360

moto 360 steel band


When I was sixteen, my parents bought me a wristwatch as a birthday gift. It was nothing special but it perfectly suited my taste. Unfortunately, I lost the watch. I felt that a part of me was missing because I missed having a steel band wristwatch and I quickly replaced it with something that I’ve grown to like. It’s a dumb watch; it isn’t especially accurate (apart from the date, mostly) and it has no features (apart from the date) other than it uses movement for power, but it has a certain heft to it. It’s this heft that I’ve missed whenever I’ve tried a smartwatch with a leather or – ew! – a rubber strap. They don’t feel so comforting on my wrist. Perhaps they’re more practical but I’ve tended to just wear the smartwatch for part of the day and put my steel band watch on later (under the pretense that it needs to be worn to keep its energy, but, yeah…).


Enter the current darling of the Android Wear smartwatch world, Motorola’s Moto 360. The Moto 360 isn’t a perfect example of a smartwatch but it was the first to be announced with a round face and so it looks more like a watch than a smartwatch. The beauty of this is that at first glance, the 360 looks like a normal watch and for many of us, this is a good thing. The 360 has a smaller battery and an older processor than the other Android Wear and quickly garnered a reputation for having suboptimal battery life, but Moto have already released one software update with more to come. To consider the aesthetics of the Moto 360, Motorola have upped the steel band model but it’s currently only available with a leather strap. Motorola are releasing a steel band for the Moto 360: customers can either buy a second strap (currently for $80) or hold out for the steel band model to be released, which isn’t out yet. Or you can do this:


Click here to view the embedded video.


As you can see, Motorola has a proprietary strap design rather than the standard strap connection. That gives it something of a black mark in my book but, oh wait, the Moto 360 has wireless charging! Moto’s 360 has little plastic tabs the protrude into the strap space, which prevents standard 22mm watch straps from fitting – with one exception, the Pebble Steel’s watch strap. It’s a perfect fit. Replacing the Moto 360’s band is easy: you’ll need a small screwdriver in order to compress the pin spring so as to remove the strap just as you do with other watch straps. Oh and it gets better; second Pebble Steel straps can be picked up from Amazon for just $20.


Whilst I’d rather the Moto 360 used normal strap connections, that the Steel’s strap fits means the 360 is now more desirable than ever. Who else is more interested in the 360 now that we know we can readily fit other straps to it? Let us know in the comments below.


The post Pebble Steel Strap Fits Moto 360 appeared first on AndroidHeadlines.com |.






from AndroidHeadlines.com | http://ift.tt/1ncgDYp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Articles

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...